Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Book Review--Burned, by Carol Higgins Clark

This is the latest Regan Reilly mystery. I must confess, I first got checked out Carol Higgins Clark's books because I had been reading her mother's books forever (Mary Higgins Clark). In fact, I think the first book I read by Carol Higgins Clark was a holiday mystery coauthored with her mother. That one featured Regan Reilly, and I decided I wanted to read more books about her.

Regan Reilly is an LA-based private detective. She has a fiance, Jack, in New York, and at the beginning of this book she is planning to fly out to see him and her family there, but a blizzard had hit the East Coast. Her friend Kit is in Hawaii, and she can't get home to Connecticut, so she convinces Regan to fly out there for a girls' weekend. But for a girls' weekend, they really don't end up spending much time together. Kit is spending a lot of time with a new guy, a 35-year-old millionaire who may be too good to be true. And though Regan had intended to relax, she ends up helping to solve a case.

Will Brown, the manager of the resort hotel where Kit and Regan are staying, asks for Regan's help. A hotel employee, Dorinda Dawes, had recently died in what police believed to be an accidental drowning. Will isn't so sure her death had been an accident, especially since not too many people were terribly fond of Dorinda. Adding to the mystery is that when Dorinda's body washed ashore, a very valuable shell lei was around her neck. The lei had belonged to a Hawaiian princess, and been stolen from a museum 30 years earlier. So the question, of course, is how Dorinda, a relative newcomer to Hawaii, ended up with it.

More minor things have been happening as well, pranks such as full tubes of suntan lotion being dropped into toilets and food being tainted. And the leaders of a tour group from a town called Hudville, where it rains 89% of the time, certainly seem as though they could be up to something. They and the other citizens of Hudville were left a lot of money by a very rich man to take Hawaiian vacations. Every three months, five Hudville citizens were chosen by lottery to win a trip to Hawaii. The leaders, twin sisters in their 60s, went on every trip. There should have been plenty of money, but the twins are pinching pennies.

Like all of the Regan Reilly books, this one is a lot of fun. I look forward to reading more.

2 comments:

Marti said...

I've read some of Carol Higgins Clark's books as well, and enjoyed them. I started reading them because I was a big fan of her mothers' works.

I liked "Jinxed" a lot, even thought it was kind of light weight, it was a lot of fun.

This books sounds pretty good - thanks for the review!

Good luck with the meme - LOL

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

booklover said...

I liked "Jinxed" too. Her books do tend to be light weight, but I always enjoy them,

Thanks for visiting. I'm working on the meme!