Friday, September 19, 2008

Death Perception, by Victoria Laurie (Book Review)

Abby Cooper, my favorite psychic and amateur sleuth, gives me something to look forward to every September, which is good, since it's usually not one of my favorite months. Summer ends, I'm back to work, and it's usually a really crazy month for me. But I digress.

This latest installment in the Abby Cooper series takes place in Las Vegas. Abby and her boyfriend, FBI agent Dutch Rivers, travel to Las Vegas after he learns that his cousin, Chase, is missing.

It turns out that there is quite a bit more to her boyfriend than Abby has realized. It turns out that Chase was hired as a bodyguard through the security firm that Dutch owns as a sideline to his work with the FBI. Abby knew about the security firm, but not that his cousin worked for it, or how lucrative it really was. Anyway, both Chase and the man he was hired to guard are missing. The evidence points to Chase being dead, but Abby's intuition insists otherwise. Oddly, though, Dutch is reluctant to involve the FBI. Dutch is also ill, and Abby continually dreams of his gravestone. Can she prevent something terrible from happening? And is her boyfriend really the good guy she's always thought him to be?

Laurie's books tend to give me the heebie-jeebies, in a good way. They are unpredictable, and I don't know what it is exactly, but they just want me to make extra sure the door is locked at night. And it's not as though I scare easily; I read murder mysteries all the time. The character Abby is quite down-to-earth, though, unusual profession or not. Some of the situations in which she finds herself are quite hilarious, so you do get the comic relief before you get too freaked out. All in all, this series is pure fun.

No comments: