Wednesday, December 07, 2011

My Inbox is Trying to Kill Me: Email Lists Gone Horribly Wrong

I am unsubscribing from every possible email list. My inbox is currently a wasteland of promotional offers, political pleas/warnings/dire predictions of the future, and probably some chain emails.

It seems harmless at the time; you sign a petition for some cause you believe in, but then in return you get approximately 7000 emails.

At one point I had close to 30,000 unread emails, dating back to 2008. Yeah, I should have just deleted them, and I actually did delete some, but I guess maybe guilt (if the email was about an important cause)and/or some deluded plan to read the things later kept me from deleting a huge amount of them.

Here is a partial list of unsubscribes--Democrats.com, Obama for America, Radio Shack, Tri-City Herald, Huffington Post, ACLU, webfetti, Friendly Planet Travel, Travel Ticker, Michael Moore, The Nation, Ticket Master, The Nation, Credo Action, meetup, Democrats.org, Live Nation, Democratic Senate Campaign Committee . . . and I am by no means done.

Note that I haven't changed my political affiliation or how I feel about any of the causes or retail outlets or news organizations, for that matter. In many cases I am following the entity in question on Facebook and/or Twitter. I just don't want any more email! I have become like a cyber extreme hoarder and it must stop!

4 comments:

Marti said...

Hi dear! Trying to get back to visiting my favorite blogs. Looks like you've about given up on blogging, sorry to see that! Hope this finds you well. Stop by and leave a new URL if you have moved (or just to say hi!)

Holli said...

I was wondering if you still posted here. I found your reviews awesome and wasnt sure if you changed blogs or not?

Holli

Lori Lucero said...

Hi, Holli, no, I don't post here anymore. Between working on a novel (check it out at http://www.amazon.com/Parallel-Lives-Lori-Lucero-ebook/dp/B00BH2AJWE . Also, I post on Quora a few times a week (my name is Lori Lucero, come find me there). I do plan on starting a new blog but wanted to build somewhat of a following on Quora first. Thanks for asking!

Lori Lucero said...

That last comment should have said, between working on my novel, social media, and so on, I got out of the habit of blogging.