Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Random Thought #9: The Vet: An Essay in Three Voices

I didn't get the carriers out soon enough. Whenever I have to take the cats anywhere, I always take the carriers out early, usually a day in advance. The cats bolt when they first see them, but then they get over being suspicious, and it's easier to actually get them into the carriers when it's time to go. I forgot to set them out the night before, so I set them out at about 10 in the morning, when their appointment was at five. This was enough for Carmela to relax a little, but Moonie was still highly suspicious, enough so to hide not just under the bed, but up in a hole they've clawed in the foundation. I couldn't even see her. I had to take everything out from under the bed (I store things under there since I don't have all that much space), take off the mattress, and shake out the foundation until she kind of fell out. I felt like a monster since she was so scared, and my bedroom looks like a heroin addict ransacked it, searching desperately for a new stash.

Moonie: For some reason, my human doesn't seem to understand that when I hide under the bed, it means I don't want to go where she wants me to go. I knew, as always, that it was bad news when my human got out the carriers; two carriers, so I knew that meant both Carmela and I were going somewhere. Unless I could elude her. Carmela is way too trusting. She forgets about the carriers right away and plays right into our human's hands. So anyway, I thought I had the perfect hiding spot. Carmela and I have clawed holes into the foundation of the bed for just such a purpose. I couldn't believe that my human was able to even find me and then actually get to me. Now the bedroom looks like a tornado hit it. She has messed up my space.

Carmela: I always freak out when I see the pet carriers. Moonie tells me to stay away from them, and I do, at first. But I always forget, eventually. So our human puts me in a carrier and I have to wait forever while she tries to get Moonie into her carrier. It's not fair. Moonie is bad, so I have to suffer. But Moonie is so passive when we actually get to the vet. She just lets them do whatever they want without putting up a fight. Me, I won't let them weigh me without trying to wiggle out of their grasp. I try to keep them from giving me any shots or doing any tests, but then they give me drugs to make me sleepy. I go on hunger strikes if I have to stay over. I cannot believe that my human does not try to stop them from poking and prodding and drugging me. She is not a good mom. But I always forgive her, because I forget to stay mad at her. Moonie is a little better at holding a grudge.

Well, I would write more, but it's really late, and I still have to clean up the bedroom before I can go to sleep. Besides, vet day is rough on everyone.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

poor sweet kitties! If only they could understand what a good mama you are for taking them!

morealyera said...

as a fellow cat lover, I can completely sympathize!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.