Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Book Review--Your Cat's Just Not That Into You, by Richard Smith (Illustrations by David Sipress)

I always thought my cats were pretty into me. They greet me at the door. They sleep with me at night. Sure, they're a little friendlier when I'm trying to eat dinner in peace, but for the most part, I thought they loved me unconditionally.

Clearly, I was living in a dream world.

Last night I was at Hastings, looking for an audiobook to rent, when I saw Your Cat's Just Not That Into You. Feeling sorry for people who clearly have settled for a less-than-optimal cat-human relationship, I picked it up and thumbed through it.

It's always a shock when you think everything is perfect in a relationship and then reality hits you in the face.

I was reading about myself and my cats.

Being all sweet and cuddly and then suddenly bolting away? My cats do that! Separation anxiety if I close the bathroom door and then ignoring me when I open it, clearly meaning that they are only into me when I am not there? My cats do that! And forget about coming to me when I call them. Then of course there is the physical abuse. They are always supposedly "just playing" when they scratch me, like they didn't realize their claws weren't retracted.

I sobbed for hours.

Dramatics aside, the book is hilarious. It is of course a take-off on He's Just Not That Into You, that book which helps women face the truth about their jerk boyfriends. From what little I've seen of that book, this one is laid out in the same way, with letter from people and advice. It's a must-have for any cat-lover.

No comments: