Monday, October 24, 2005

Movie Review--North Country

One thing I can definitely say about this movie is that it gives one perspective. Anytime that I think that I hate my job, I'll just think about what it would have been like to work in the hellhole portrayed in this movie. I think working in a mine would be bad enough, never mind working there when one is subjected to daily harrassment. I'm talking feces smeared on the walls of the women's locker room, sex toys in their lunch boxes, ugly rumors and name calling, and generally having to go to work every day in fear.

The movie is inspired by a true story involving a class-action sexual harrassment suit against a mine in 1989. It centers on a character named Josie (Charlize Theron) who moves back to her hometown with two kids in tow when she leaves her abusive husband. She moves in with her parents and gets a job washing hair in a beauty salon, but one can't exactly support oneself and two kids on those wages. A female mine worker and union representative suggests that Josie get a job working for the mine, which pays six times what she makes washing hair.

Josie's dad also works for the mine, but he is far from supportive. And from day one, Josie is subjected to an incredible amount of harrassment, as are the other women who work for the mine, who are outnumbered 30 to 1 by men. Most of the women try to brush it off, but Josie has a much harder time doing so. The final straw occurs when she is attacked by one of the men. She gets a lawyer (Woody Harrelson) and sues the mine.

Theron does a wonderful job as Josie. The character is an amazing person, someone who has really been through a lot and is amazingly strong. Since the movie is "inspired by" a true story, I am not sure how much of her character is based on an actual person, but the real life women in this case must have been incredibly courageous as well, to take on the mine like that and make history.

I'm glad I saw the movie, because it is really good and it portrays an important piece of history. However, it was really intense and hard to watch in places, so I'm not sure it's the kind of thing I'd want to see again. Not a good date movie, that's for sure. It's the type of movie to see with someone capable of providing good emotional support.

No comments: