Tuesday, November 04, 2008

President-Elect Barack Obama

What an awesome day! Living in Washington State, I knew that Obama had won a couple minutes after eight in the evening. Well, actually, I knew before that even, because after they called Ohio for Obama, there was really no way for McCain to win. I loved how the whole West Coast turned blue about two seconds after the polls had closed. I had not expected things to be so "easy", despite how good things were looking in the polls. I was expecting to be up late, more states being too close to call, legal challenges, fistfights at CNN--okay, maybe not that last one. I guess after the last two presidential elections it just didn't seem possible that this one could go so relatively smoothly, though that's not to say there weren't issues with voting problems and all that.

John McCain made such a classy concession speech, though some members of the crowd weren't classy. Obama's speech was awesome and inspiring. I wish his grandmother could have lived to see him win. His campaign has been so amazing. Whenever I was worried about something (election tampering, people not understanding this or that, low-information voters defecting to the other side because of Palin, Bill Ayers, whatever), the campaign always had it covered. Of course the external event of the economy cratering helped the Democrats in general, but still, the campaign had an amazing ground game. If Obama's administration is as effective as his campaign, things will be really great. YES WE CAN!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori, Karen will call me a liar, but deep down inside, I always knew Obama was gonna beat McCain like a rented mule.

Closer to the surface, it was an entirely different matter. We watched the returns on MSNBC, and there were times Karen almost had to talk me off the ledge. That Chuck Todd irritates the hell out of me. His disappointment at McCain's loss was evident in his voice.

Like you, we knew it was over when they called Ohio. California, Oregon and Washington were all he needed from there. Virginia shocked me, but somehow Indiana didn't. Still on pins and needles waiting for N.C. and Missouri. I don't think he'll win Missouri. It's pretty much a southern state anymore.

I'm just glad it's over. Now I can sleep nights!

booklover said...

Ken, I was kind of the same way--I was a basket case, but I thought deep down Obama would be able to pull it off. I was just the opposite on the Indiana/Virginia thing. I wasn't too surprised about Virginia, but I hadn't thought he'd pull off Indiana. I was hoping he'd get Montana as a sort of symbolic victory, but it was amazing that he even came close there. I am going to guess yes on NC and no on Missouri.