Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer (Book Review)

I did it! Now that my election worries are over, I can concentrate and read novels again. I had initially hesitated in reading the Twilight series because I'm not normally a fan of vampire novels. (I'm even less of a fan of vampire movies; Interview with a Vampire nearly made me lose my dinner). I decided to try Meyer's series because I had heard so many good things about it, not the least of which was that Edward, vampire and love interest of Bella, the main (human) character, is a vegetarian. Strictly speaking, this isn't true, but he satisfies his thirst for blood by drinking animal blood rather than human blood. Even so, I have to try not to dwell on it too much or I feel queasy.

Still, the book is really good, both as a suspense novel and a romance. Bella, 17, moves to Forks, Washington, to live with her dad after her mother remarries. She isn't at all crazy about moving to one of the rainiest places in the United States, especially since she's from Phoenix, but she forces herself to do so in the interest of her mother's happiness. Bella's moving in with her father leaves her mother free to travel with her new husband.

On the first day in her new school in Forks, Bella meets Edward, whose good looks border on godlike.

Too bad he seems to take an instant dislike to her.

It isn't until later that she learns the truth about Edward. Edward is a vampire, and though he's as crazy about her as she is about him, he was trying to stay away from her because he was also having to fight the urge to suck her blood. Which I guess is as good a reason for his initial behavior as any.

Bella handles the news of Edward's true nature surprisingly well. Despite Edward's warnings that he is still dangerous to be around despite his "vegetarianism" (in case he gets too tempted), she has no intention of staying away from Edward. He finds it difficult to keep his distance from her, too, and they begin a romance, albeit a cautious one.

But hanging out with vampires is even more dangerous than either one of them realizes, and Belle soon finds herself in grave danger.

The magnetism between the two main characters and the suspenseful plot makes this book a real page turner. It appeals to teens and adults alike. I read somewhere that Edward and his vampire family set an example of sorts in that they rise above their lot in life by only hunting animals. It's not an obvious point, but I do believe it's true.

The movie is due to come out in only a couple of days! I look forward to seeing it; I only hope it's half as good as the book.

No comments: